Four of us in a six metre by two metre space…there’s bound to be friction and things that we miss. As we hit the three month mark of our trip I’ve created a list of some of the things that bug me about van life (and my family).
- It annoys me that my seven year old is always complaining her pants don’t fit
- It annoys me that my husband sneezes so loudly he can wake people in neighbouring campers
- It annoys me having to build and take down my bed everyday
- It annoys me that we don’t have a toaster
- It annoys me that I get cross about mess or dirty clothes but with limited clothes and washing facilities it’s hard not to be frustrated
- It annoys me having to shop every couple of days (sometimes we last until day 4) because we don’t have a large fridge or freezer to bulk buy and store
- It annoys me that I am just constantly picking up or tripping over shoes
- It annoys me when someone continues to hum tunelessly despite being asked several times to stop
- It annoys me that the floor is always covered in sand or grit…where does it come from?
- It annoys me when sat nav can’t decide which pigging direction we actually need to go in
- It annoys me that at home the children won’t pick their toys off the floor but they will spend hours cleaning a forest floor of pine cones
- It annoys me that only one ‘job’ can be done in the van at a time. There’s no room to cook AND wash up or sweep AND tidy away. Every job is a one person job
- It annoys me that it’s so much hard work to find a shower we can use
- It annoys me that we have nowhere to dry wet or damp clothes
- It annoys me that I am still the only one who changes the empty toilet roll
When life is annoying in a van there is no escape!